Tuesday, September 16, 2008

"And we will be the Lord's missionaries to bring the world His truth."





I think I can blog about this without getting teary. I'll give it my best shot.



September 10, the MTC arrival (not the 28th birthday), finally arrived. We headed to Utah on the 9th after Gage's wonderful setting apart by Pres. Allen on Monday evening.



We arrived at Grandma V's about 6:00 pm, and left the next morning about 9:30 for Provo. We grabbed a bite of lunch and before we knew it, the time had come.



We arrived at the MTC to a flurry of activity. Missionaries everywhere. Gage deposited his luggage and we snapped a few pics and then headed indoors for the group meeting. Our old friend RayAnne Melick from Arlington and Albuquerque, now living in PG was there as a volunteer and it was fun to see her for a few minutes. We put Gage's name tag on him for the first time and found our seats. Nothing has changed since our drop off of Judson 10 years ago. Same pep talk from the MTC pres. and same viewing of Called to Serve. Now that's a classic church movie. 80's hair and all...



We parted with tears and hugs and final good byes. Then off to the BYU bookstore to buy a card, all sign it, and get it in the mail box for same day delivery.



And the answer is 'no' it wasn't any easier. In 2013 when Wyn leaves I expect the tears will flow again...




12 comments:

The Dixon Family said...

Mom, it looks like you're holding on for dear life in that last picture . . .

Like you said, you wouldn't be able to imagine him anywhere else . . .

Cheryl J. said...

I love the pictures and the description of Gage's send off. What a fabulous missionary he will be. Good job raising a fine young man!

Carlos said...

Gage,
Would you be a lamb and bring me home a nice BMW?

Thanks. That's all for now.

Carlos

Cherie said...

I agree, and I know you ARE holding on for dear life. Bittersweet day, but great pics...

myrna said...

I can imagine it will never be easy to send children off, even when it is for such a wonderful and worthy cause. We just miss them, that's why!!! You did a great job though, even though I can see you are very close to tears in those pics - and we are proud of you. We're especially proud of Gage.

Gardnerfam said...

Wow!! I look at the pictures and it feels like time has stood still. It is so great to see pictures and read the comments. Gage will make a great missionary. I would love to be on Gages email forwards. What a beautiful family.

Summer said...

So fun and So sad! He will be a great missionary!

ALLRED FAMILY said...

And he's off! WOW! Just like that. He'll be such a great missionary. Can't wait to hear about his experiences!

ALLRED FAMILY said...

PS beautiful family picture by the way, you all look GRRRRREAT!

Eowyn said...

Hi Kemsley Fam!!! You all look so fantastically wonderful which is fitting since that is just how all of you are! Gage is going to be so awesome - I have no doubt! Hey, give my dad a hard time for me once in awhile will ya?

Unknown said...

Hi Kemsley family! I found your blog through Becca & Jake Brown's page. I can't believe Gage is a missionary!! It's fun to see what you guys are up to. Tell everyone hi!

Jake & Camille

Karee said...

Hooray for Elder Kemsley and his family who prays him forward. Daniel sent him a loaf of Great Harvest bread... ok, I know, normally they are sent goobery candy and such, but my sugar-free son thought: Health Food. What a wonderful son he is, or should I say: They are! Love you. Elder K is in our prayers every morning and night.